Tuesday 11 October 2011

Early/Iconic Music Video - The Temptations

My first early/iconic music video is for My Girl by The Temptations.



This particular video includes footage from the movie 'My Girl' (1991) but we can also see the original 1965 footage of The Temptations performing their hit, for the Gordy label, on stage. When the song was first released it hit number one in the U.S charts and it is still their signature song today.
(The original clip can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRwmgYEUr8 unfortunately embedding for the clip was disabled by request)
As you can see the original is very simplistic to go with the mood of their song, portraying the meaning further.
Their lyrics consist of scenarios where others might see them as dull situations but because of "my girl" these situations don't seem to bother them.
For example, "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day...I don't need no money, fortune or fame. I got all the riches one man can claim...Well, I guess you'd say what can make you feel this way? My girl." This song suggests that they don't need anything else as long as they have their girl, therefore the music video is shot of these five men on stage with nothing else but their voices and their own dance moves, as if that's all they need too.

When the song was reinvented as an Epic Sony Record for the release of the movie by Columbia, they made a new music video to accompany the song.
The video suggests another generation growing up finding their own 'my girl'. We see their relationship unfold through the music video and footage from the movie itself. It is interesting to see the black and white effect used for clips of the two characters reenacting the Temptations original video, it begins to reflect the present and the past as one.

1 comment:

  1. This is also a very good example of an early 'music video' where it was simply performed for the camera (much like a concert) becuase of limited technology

    ReplyDelete